Nine Civil War sites throughout Kentucky are seeking volunteers to take on maintenance projects, large and small, as part of the 2013 Civil War Trust Park Day, scheduled for Saturday, April 6. An annual hands-on preservation event to help Civil War battlefields and historic sites, activities are chosen by each participating site to meet their own particular needs and can range from raking leaves and hauling trash to painting signs and trail buildings. This annual event, sponsored by the Civil War Trust and History, is an excellent opportunity to bring Civil War enthusiasts together in an effort to help keep our nation’s Civil War heritage not only preserved, but pristine.
Following are the Kentucky Civil War sites participating on Saturday, April 6:
– Fort Duffield Park & Historic Site, West Point, Ky. Meet at 10 a.m. in parking lot. Planned activities include clearing trash, cutting brush & trees, cleaning headstones, general fix-up.Tools will be provided. A meal (lunch or dinner) will be provided for volunteers. Entrance to Fort Duffield Park & Historic Site is at Salt River Drive & U.S. 31W (Dixie Highway). For more information, call Connie Morris at (502) 922-4574 or visit www.fortduffield.com. Rain or shine.
– Fort Boone Civil War Battle Site, Frankfort, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. in Leslie Morris Park, on Fort Hill, at the end of Clifton Avenue. Planned activities include clean up from winter storm and cutting vegetation back from along stone wall and the military road. Bring gloves and hand tools. Drinks (water, soda, sports drinks) will be provided. For more information, e-mail Charles Bogart at email@example.com. Rain or shine.
– Columbus-Belmont State Park, Columbus, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. at Shelter C in picnic area. Planned activities include clean up of park grounds and trails, paint picnic tables, plant flowers. Brings gloves and rakes. A meal (lunch or dinner) will be provided. For more information, visit www.parks.ky.gov. Rain date: April 20.
– Middle Creek National Battlefield, Prestonsburg, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. at the battlefield. Planned activities include mow field, clean out flower beds, mulch and plant flowers, cut weeds, clear battlefield of any and all fallen debris, spread gravel in parking lot, etc. Bring weed-trimmers, shovels, wheelbarrows, garbage bags, rakes, gloves, etc. For more information, call Debi Manual at (606) 886-0170, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.friendsofmiddlecreek.org. Rain date: April 13.
– Battery Hooper at James A. Ramage Civil War Museum, Covington, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. at James A. Ramage Civil War Museum, 1402 Highland Avenue, Fort Wright. Please park at the adjacent Community of Faith Presbyterian Church parking lot and walk over to museum. Some outdoor equipment will be provided, but volunteers are asked to bring hand-held tools such as loppers and rakes. Planned activities include clean and prepare archaeology dig site for spring events, edge and prepare flower beds and plantings, trim honeysuckle, check trail conditions, etc. Drinks (water, soda, sports drinks) will be provided. For more information, call Jeannine Kreinbrink at (859) 331-1700 or e-mail email@example.com. Rain date: April 20.
– Mill Springs Battlefield Association, Nancy, Ky. Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Zollicoffer Park Road #235. Planned activities include clean park, maintain trails, assist in preservation and interpretation efforts. Bring lunch & gloves and wear outdoor clothing. For more information, contact Karyn Branham by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.millsprings.net. No rain date.
– Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site, Perryville, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. at 1825 Battlefield Road, Perryville. Planned activities include general clean up and repair of stone walls. Bring work boots and gloves. A meal (lunch or dinner) will be provided. Volunteers will receive free admission to museum and 20 percent discount in museum store. For more information, contact Joni House at (859) 332-8631 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Rain or shine.
– Camp Wildcat Civil War Battlefield, London, Ky. Meet at 9 a.m. at the main parking lot on top of Wildcat Mountain. Planned activities include clean up trash along trails and roads leading to the Camp Wildcat Battlefield, spread lime and fertilizer on grass around main parking lot, begin clearing trail to trenches below cannon sites on Infantry Ridge, clean restrooms top to bottom, signs, etc. All tools will be provided by the Camp Wildcat Preservation Foundation. Light food and drinks will be provided. For more information, call Jim Cass at (606) 864-9776 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Rain or shine.
The following event will be held on Saturday, April 13:
– Battle of Richmond, Ky. Meet at 10 a.m. at Richmond Battlefield Park, 1546 Battlefield Memorial Highway, Richmond, Ky. Planned activities include general clean-up, inside and out. Bring gloves. No water or food will be provided. For more information, call Phillip Seyfrit at (859) 624-0013 or e-mail email@example.com. Rain or shine.